Monday, August 24, 2015

Something About A Fire...

I'm coming back from a short time off to refresh & refocus...and after some very intentional conversations with key people in my life I've realized that I have been putting a lot of things ahead of my own health. Emotionally, physically & spiritually...I have a ways to go, but I am taking steps toward improving this part of my life.

While I was away...I spent some time at a cabin in the middle of Missouri. Those of you who know me, know that my idea of camping is a Holiday Inn...HOWEVER, this was a great week to get away and well...think. I was able to spend time with my kids, read some books, talk with some mentors and influencers in my life...


One evening my son and I built a fire. Yes...by ourselves. That was an accomplishment in itself for us. However, as I was watching the fire it got me to thinking about life.  We all have tanks or gauges that we have to monitor...emotionally, physically & spiritually. Just like the fire...once you get it started, the work is not done. You have to add wood, you have to allow the fire room for air, you have to monitor it...or it will burn out. Or if you're not careful you can cause a lot of damage with your fire. 


Something so beautiful as a campfire...provides warmth, provides light, provides a way to cook, provides a platform for conversation...if not properly maintained can either be a pile of ash, or the cause of destruction.


Maybe life is like that a bit...maybe we need to do a better job of monitoring our tanks. Emotionally, physically & spiritually to make sure we are tending to our own fires. Maybe. Maybe I'm guilty of trying to burn my fire so hot that I didn't allow it air to breathe. Maybe. Maybe I was suffocating my own fire. Have you? 


For me...it means I need to rest more, find things to do that I enjoy that aren't a part of my job, and write more. Writing is an outlet for me. Whether you read or not...honestly doesn't matter to me. That's not the goal, it's about writing. About life, about faith, about culture, about church...whatever comes along. I plan to write a whole lot more in this new journey for me as I enter a new season of ministry & life focused on sustaining my fire. 


There's something about a fire...may you tend to yours so it burns brightly for others to see.


Always Believe - J

No comments:

Post a Comment